Hi, my name is Rich and I’m the host here at Money Wise Pastor – a site dedicated to money and personal finance from a pastor’s perspective. Our goal is to help pastors, missionaries and other ministry leaders to make all you can, save all you can, and give all you can (hat-tip to John Wesley).
So who am I, and why do I think I have something worthwhile to say about personal finance for pastors?
I’m glad you asked! Well…
- I’ve been a pastor for 13 years. The first ten were in a large local church where I wore a number of hats: congregational care, community outreach, small groups, and global missions. For the last three years, I’ve served as the director of a denominational ministry that focuses on leadership development and church multiplication in certain ethnic communities across North America.
- Before becoming a pastor, I worked as an urban missionary for several years. I had to raise my own support while working various jobs in order to keep food on the table. That’s when I was bitten by the entrepreneur bug. Since then, I’ve started a handful of different enterprises. Some were successful…some not so much…and others…well, time will tell!
- I’ve struggled a lot with the question of whether God called me to be a pastor or an entrepreneur. That struggle came to a head in 2005 as I prepared for ordination. I knew God called me to the ministry, but I also believed He gave me strong entrepreneurial desires. Was I to forsake those desires for the ministry, or could I use them in my ministry and other pursuits? I think a lot of people share these same feelings, and I’ll share more of my story in future posts.
- I know what it’s like to face the possibility of cutbacks in salaries and position eliminations, which many pastors and churches are facing these days, and to have to “tighten the belt,” rediscover frugality, and explore additional sources of income.
- I’ve watched several friends go through transitions between churches which lasted for two and three years, and have learned from their experience.
- My wife and I have been married for 18 years and have five wonderful kids (so far) ages 4-14. We’ve experienced some of the challenges of living on a pastor’s salary. And since my wife is a full-time home school mom, we know what it’s like to live on one income.
- I’ve been mentored for over thirteen years by some very successful, wealthy and influential people who have taught me a lot about personal finance.
- Others seek me out as a coach, counselor and advisor on spiritual, career, financial, life purpose and other issues, and I’ve taught workshops and classes as well.
- I’ve made lots of mistakes in my life and have learned from them. And sometimes, sadly, I’ve had to re-learn them.
- I believe I have an obligation to give back and to share with others what I’ve been learning and implementing in my own life.
- I love helping others achieve their dreams, live to their full potential, and fulfill the calling God has given them.
These are a few reasons why I think you might want to join me here at Money Wise Pastor. My goal is to share with you what I’m learning about money , and feature interviews with, and guest posts from, pastors and ministry leaders who do have real-life experience and expertise in these areas.
Next time, I’ll share with you one big reason why you just might not want to listen to me!